CLASS A FIRE RATING Mataverde® Decking and Siding Species
Mataverde Decking and Siding Species Tested and Meet Standards for Class A Fire Rated Decking
With new changes to the fire safety codes being adopted and implemented throughout the world, here are some resources that should help you choose the right materials for your project design and build. Check with your local code officials to see what is required in your area.
The most stringent codes being used for decking and siding materials follow the IWUI (International Wildland Urban Interface) requirements. Very few real wood siding and decking materials meet these needs. But Mataverde ThermaWood FR Hem-Fir Decking and siding does meet these requirements.This remarkable product line uses Thermex-FR, a non-toxic, long lasting fire retardant treatment. Mataverde ThermaWood FR is classified as "ignition resistant".
Mataverde ThermaWood FR Hem-Fir siding, treated with non-toxic Thermex-FR meets the latest fire codes
Mataverde ThermaWood FR marries the best of worlds; thermally modified and fire resistant wood. The unique thermal modification process makes the wood incredibly stable, and rot and decay resistant. The wood is then treated under pressure, with Thermex-FR, a non toxic, environmentally friendly fire retardant treatment.
Mataverde ThermaWood FR decking and siding meet the following stringent code requirements:
- IBC (International Building Code®) 2018, 2015, 2012, 2009, 2006. Section 603.1
- IRC (International Residential Code®) 2018, 2015, 2012, 2009, 2006. Section R802
- IWUI (International Wildland Urban Interface)
- WUI (Wildland Urban Interface)
- E84/723 Extended for 30 minutes
* Always check with local code officials to see what is required in your area.
OTHER FIRE TESTING METHODS AND AGENCIES:
The type of testing that the following Mataverde hardwood decking and siding species were tested for is commonly referred to as ASTM E84-10 "Standard Method of Test for Surface Burning Characteristics of Building Materials". It is a ten minute test measuring surface flame spread and smoke density. This fire testing standard was established by ASTM International (formerly known as American Society of Testing and Materials). A Class A fire rating using the ASTM test method is the equivalent of a Class A fire rating from the following test methods and agencies:
• ANSI/NFPA No 255 from the American National Standards Institute/National Fire Protection Association
• IBC 8.1 from the International Building Code
• UL 723 from Underwriters Laboratories
Several Mataverde hardwood decking and siding species have been tested for their performance in flame, smoke and fire testing. Mataverde Ipe hardwood, Mataverde Cumaru hardwood and FSC® Certified Mataverde Machiche, Mataverde Jatoba (Brazilian Cherry) hardwood all surpassed the E84 fire test criteria earning them a 'Class A' fire rating.
An example of FSC Certified Machiche Decking
MATAVERDE SPECIES TESTED:
From a safety standpoint, fire resistance is a very important criteria for building design and construction. The following species were tested for their compliance with Class A fire rating criteria:
|Mataverde Ipe Hardwood Decking
|Mataverde Cumaru Hardwood Decking
DOWNLOAD COMPLETE FIRE TESTING RESULTS:
To view the complete specific Class A fire test results for each of these hardwood decking and siding species, please click on the appropriate link:
MATAVERDE HARDWOOD DECKING SPECIES RECEIVE WUI LISTING
Several Mataverde Premium Hardwood decking species received a Class A "WUI" Listing from the state of California. The Office of the State Fire Marshall in California has listed Mataverde Premium Hardwood decking species Ipe, Cumaru and Machiche for compliance with W.U.I requirements. The W.U.I. (Wildlife Urban Interface) designation for these decking species assures that they are fully compliant with all the requirements of California’s fire codes listed in their "Test Protocol 12-7A-4A".
The California State Fire Marshall has listed the following Mataverde premium hardwood decking species as Class A flame spread rated and compliant with WUI requirements:
- Mataverde Premium Ipe Decking in nominal sizes from 1x4 and larger; including 1x4 T&G, 1x4, 5/4x4, 5/4x4 pre-grooved, 1x6, 5/4x6, 5/4x6 pre-grooved, 2x4, 2x6 Ipe and larger sizes
- Mataverde Premium Cumaru Decking in nominal sizes from 1x4 and larger including: 1x4, 1x6, 5/4x4, 5/4x6, 5/4x4 pre-grooved, 5/4x6 pre-grooved, 2x4, 2x6 and larger sizes
- Mataverde Premium Machiche Decking in nominal sizes from 1x4 and larger including: 1x4, 1x6, 5/4x4, 5/4x6, 5/4x4 pre-grooved, 5/4x6 pre-grooved, 2x4, 2x6 and larger sizes
- Mataverde Premium Jatoba Decking in nominal sizes from 1x4 and larger including: 1x4, 1x6, 5/4x4, 5/4x6, 5/4x4 pre-grooved, 5/4x6 pre-grooved, 2x4, 2x6 and larger sizes
We hope this is helpful. Please PLEASE CONTACT OUR TECHNICAL TEAM if you have questions or would like additional information.